KEEP FOCUSED ON JESUS
Earlier this month while spending time with Jesus I heard “Keep focused on Me.”
I looked back in my journals over the past 2 years and on March 17, 2020 the Lord said, “Focus on Me” and again in January 2021, the Lord said, “Continue to focus on Me.”
Church! The Lord is reminding us to keep focused on Him! I believe this is on God’s heart for His church. He continues to remind us because there are many distractions which are escalating as the battle intensifies, there is more evil, more deception, more trials, challenges, testing, tribulations and more persecution.
To me, focusing on Jesus means to keep my thoughts focused on who He is, His truths, His promises and who I am in Him. It means to love Him, desiring to have a heart after Him. It means to keep my eyes fixed on Him, reading and meditating on His Word. It means to listen to Him and be obedient to what He says.
The Oxford dictionary definition of focus is: the center of interest or activity; to pay particular attention to.
Is Jesus your pursuit? Do you live for Him? Are your thoughts, eyes, ears, heart focused on Him? Are mine? I asked myself these questions and would like to share with you my honest answers.
I love Jesus and desire to follow and serve Him with my whole life. He has given me everything and is more than enough. I love spending time with Him and lately I have been intentional to sit and listen more. I love being in His Word, not just reading it but meditating on it, studying it and living it. I want to know Jesus more. Each day, I desire to look like I belong to God, set apart from the world, so that people will see Jesus in me and desire to know Him. I need to continue to be aware of distractions, recognize them and overcome them. I need to not partner with excuses, complacency, disappointment or discouragement. I need to not partner with false accusations and lies from the enemy. The truth is, I really want and need Jesus to be my one pursuit!
Here are some scriptures that have encouraged me to continue to stay focused on Jesus. Holy Spirit has helped me to apply them to my life.
- You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you! (Isa 26:3 NLT)
- Finally, believers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable andworthy of respect, whatever is right and confirmed by God’s word, whatever is pure and wholesome, whatever is lovely and brings peace, whatever is admirable and of good repute; if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think continually on these things [center your mind on them, and implant them in your heart]. (Phil 4:8 AMP)
- Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. (Col 3:1-2 NIV)
- Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting Him, He endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now He is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. (Heb 12:1-2 NLT)
- Then Jesus asked them, “Would anyone light a lamp and then put it under a basket or under a bed? Of course not! A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light will shine.For everything that is hidden will eventually be brought into the open, and every secret will be brought to light. Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand.” Then He added, “Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given—and you will receive even more. To those who listen to My teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them.” (Mk 4:21-25 NLT)
What helps me to stay focused on Jesus is routine and intentionality. Getting up early in the morning each day and spending time with Jesus. Putting Him first in my day. Throughout the day I ask Holy Spirit to lead and guide me. Not just where I go and what I do but also my thoughts, attitudes and desires. I pray every day and ask Holy Spirit to help me to have ears to hear what He is saying to me and also to the church. I desire to walk according to Holy Spirit and not according to the flesh or world and not being unaware of the enemies schemes. I am not successful in these things everyday however each day is a new day-another day to pursue Jesus, get to know Him more and allow Holy Spirit to make me more like Him so that God will be glorified, the church will be encouraged and others will come to know Him. Nothing is possible without Jesus. I am nothing without Him and need and want Him every moment of every day.
When I am able to keep my thoughts, heart, eyes and ears focused on Jesus, He is faithful to His Word and promises. As I meditate on and apply the scriptures above to my life daily, there is the blessing of peace, more understanding of what He is saying and my faith and trust in Jesus grows.
I would love to hear from you. How are you doing in your pursuit to keep focused on Jesus? What helps you focus on Jesus? What blessings are you experiencing as a result?
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” (Rev 2:7 NKJV)